Sunday 3 December 2023

Exterior Teak Parts

Exterior Teak

Update Feb 2 - I did get a hold of some oxalic acid and it does a remarkable job of cleaning the weathered Teak.  Still not sure what I’ll do to finish or replace but I will simply reinstall the clean and sanded bow seat and deal with other priorities. 


Original post 

I must confess that I am a huge fan of exterior brightwork on other people's boats.  I have zero interest in varnishing.  Part of what appealed to me about the OVNI is its form-before-function design ethic, however, when I list the now-weathered exterior teak parts, I'm a bit surprised.

The OVNI 435/6 has: 

  • A bow pulpit seat
  • dodger trim
  • companionway hatch trim
  • cockpit seat slats (a nice contoured curved design that can drain, though it’s awkward to paint the adjacent metalwork.)
  • convertible teak grating/cockpit sole. (an unloved feature, replaced by a fixed folding-leaf  table in later models)
  • A teak-slatted helm seat.
  • A lift out helm grating/rudder post cover. (nice feature I think)
  • a transom seat/hatch.  


Bow Pulpit

Pretty weathered. I brought it home to refinish or replace.   What have others done with this?   I did clean it up with oxalic acid and sand it a bit.  Not a fan of how the factory drilled through the pulpit tubing to install.  






Helm Seat.

Screws corroded and broken, itll be a PITA to remove them, and a bit of a fussy job to renew the seat slats.   Doable, but as above, is there a better solution?  I traced a template when I was last there.


Dodger Base


Convertible grating/table

The convertible teak grating/table seems to be an unloved feature for reasons I can understand. (the Later 435s have fixed drop leaf table)  

The long cockpit seat slats are each riveted and plugged.   Has anyone turend this into an easier -to-remove assembly for ease of painting of the aluminum below?








































No comments:

Post a Comment

Fitted Cutting boards

Will laminate a 36"X15"maple blank to create a  two cutting boards in the galley:    a  drop-in cutting board for the larger sink ...

Posts by Subject